The name Terenten is derived from the Latin torrentum, meaning mountain torrent. The first documented reference of Terenten can be found in a “Traditionsbuch”, a register book of Freising monastery.
Duke Otto von Andechs handed four farms in Terenten (in monte Torentohobas) over to Bishop Gottshalk von Freising. This documented transfer entry originates from the period between 994 and 1005 AD. “Mons Terrentum” was mentioned in around 1000 AD.
The area around Terenten was already populated in prehistoric times, evidence of which can be found in archaeological findings and mural fragments at geographically preferred places such as St. Zeno, Pflangerkopf and Pürgstallkopf.
The so called “Hexestein”, a bowl-stone in the Winnebachtal valley, is presumably a prehistoric spring sanctuary. The conquest of the Bavarii initiated strong settlement activity from the 7th century AD onwards. Most of the hamlets were probably populated during this period. The landscape characterized by agriculture and peasantry has barely changed since then.